IGTV was released a while ago… but what the heck is it?
Keep reading and I will explain as much as I can so that you can go and dominate it.
IGTV is Instagram’s vertical format video publishing platform, for videos that are 15 seconds and longer in duration. I guess they saw the need for a vertical video format as many non-youtube-creators are doing the beginners mistake of filming vertically
instead of horizontally.
To most people, it comes naturally to film vertical so I can only guess that the platform was created with them in mind.
But what do I do with IGTV you ask? It’s a new platform and it’s still in its baby steps, but video creation is a very mature thing.
- If you want to build a personal brand you can use it as a vlogging platform.
- If you have a Youtube channel you can use IGTV to make a teaser for each video you upload and link it in the description.
- You can make vlogs unique to the IGTV platform. For example: If you have a food blog or channel you can make breakfast related posts on IGTV.
If you are a business and you want to use IGTV to promote your brand, congrats! Congrats for embracing the latest trends and wanting to connect with your followers in a modern way.
Depending on what type of business you have you can make small clips on IGTV to showcase your products. If you are in the retail world you can showcase and talk about the features of your products.
Few IGTV ideas for companies:
- If you sell shoes, make close up videos so that your customers can get a better view and understanding of how the shoe is. The fabric, the height, the material, the type.
- Do you sell gadgets? Make short promo videos showing how cool your gadgets are and what you can do with them.
- Are you a food-related business? Recipes recipes RECIPES! Easy and quick ones would be a great idea.
- Are you making your own jewelry? Make a video about how you make them and showcase them in separate videos.
In reality, you can make a video of whatever you want. I personally sometimes vlog inside my car about various things. I have even uploaded a few from my Youtube channel which leads me to my next point:
The drawback of IGTV (but not really since it’s a different platform)
As mentioned you can see few of my Youtube videos on IGTV but since it’s horizontal vs vertical format, obviously IGTV crops the hell out of it. I don’t mind since these videos are not supposed to be uploaded there, but many YouTubers are doing it. If it’s a talking video then it doesn’t matter if it gets cropped as long as the main part of the video (aka the person talking) is visible.
Is IGTV a Youtube competitor?
No, I wouldn’t say that. These two are different platforms and serve different purposes.
You can say that IGTV is complementary to Youtube and you can use both to promote your brand. It might mean double the work, but then you have double the potential viewers.
The above is just my humble opinion and my own understanding of the platform so far. It’s a new thing and there are definitely going to be many updates and changes in the future.
The important thing is that, if there are people using it, if you want to be found, you should be there.
Do you have any questions? Let me know in the comments.
See you next time.